By this point, most of you have heard about the tragedy in Norway a few weeks ago when a Christian Fundamentalist murdered 77* people and injured another 96. The story has been well-covered by International media and the mainstream press here in the US.
What you probably have not heard about is the married lesbian couple who rescued 40 teenagers during and after the bloody event. Several blogs and gay and lesbian publications are now picking up the story, but the heavy hitters who usually kill for hero stories like this, have remained silent.
The Finnish capital city’s largest daily newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat, published this account (translated from Finnish):
Hege Dalen and her spouse, Toril Hansen were near Utöyan having dinner on the opposite shore across from the ill-fated campsite, when they began to hear gunfire and screaming on the island.
“We were eating. Then shooting and then the awful screaming. We saw how the young people ran in panic into the lake,” says Dale to HS in an interview.
The couple immediately took action and pushed the boat into Lake Tyrifjorden.
Dalen and Hansen drove the boat to the island, picked up from the water victims in shock in, the young and wounded, and transported them to the opposite shore to the mainland. Between runs they saw that the bullets had hit the right side of the boat.
Since there were so many and not all fit at once aboard, they returned to the island four times.
They were able to rescue 40 young people from the clutches of the killer.
“We did not sleep last night at all. Today, we have been together and talked about the events,” Dalen said.
Please share this story and make sure people know the heroism of Hege and Toril.
*Thank you to readers who have provided credible sources as to the actual number of deaths from this tragedy. We originally reported that 92 had been killed, but according to Norwegian sources, the total number is at 77, with many still in the hospital.
Check out our follow-up to this post here: Hege & Toril: Why We Write, which addresses many of your comments and questions about this article.
Please Follow us on Twitter @TalkEquality
- littlelibbers likes this
- chasinndreams reblogged this from civillyunioned
- fuckyeahmosez reblogged this from moll-eephonehome
- overlordleaveshiswife likes this
- youareperfectjustthewayyouare likes this
- marigoldsky reblogged this from zorabioz
- marigoldsky likes this
- zorabioz reblogged this from rapturousenjoymentofgay
- stoogehas6hobos likes this
- rapturousenjoymentofgay reblogged this from civillyunioned
- randomdaisy reblogged this from zing-noir and added:
- nekomatame reblogged this from loveincolororg
- mastersara reblogged this from civillyunioned
- pandas-eat-pencils reblogged this from moll-eephonehome
- moll-eephonehome reblogged this from chainedtomemory
- chainedtomemory reblogged this from civillyunioned
- rockyhorrorpuppetshow reblogged this from festeringfae
- rockyhorrorpuppetshow likes this
- patoriku reblogged this from loveincolororg
- courtney-coprich reblogged this from liveinlayers
- breezybrice reblogged this from liveinlayers
- land-of-la reblogged this from hereinyourarms33
- devilsdaughter reblogged this from hereinyourarms33
- snakesarenotpoisonous likes this
- professionallyqueer reblogged this from civillyunioned
- the-release reblogged this from loveincolororg and added:
- spirited-away reblogged this from taurustic
- mister-mascara likes this
- starksilliness reblogged this from diary-stabbing-potter
- halfadyke reblogged this from hereinyourarms33
- nayapolis reblogged this from hereinyourarms33 and added:
- nayapolis likes this
- diary-stabbing-potter reblogged this from hereinyourarms33
- hereinyourarms33 reblogged this from loveincolororg
- hereinyourarms33 likes this
- revolucion-en-la-cama likes this
- hahareally reblogged this from loveincolororg
- puddlerat likes this
- thebootydontlie likes this
- barebrownboy likes this
- liveinlayers reblogged this from andyouhavetogivethemhope
- taurustic reblogged this from loveincolororg
- zing-noir reblogged this from friedunicorn
- friedunicorn reblogged this from kiwiberries
- sscissormetimberss reblogged this from loveincolororg
- onecrakinlesbian reblogged this from loveincolororg
- neelysjohn likes this
- peacelove60smusic likes this
- ifonlyiknewwhatiwasdoing reblogged this from loveincolororg
- arianne-c reblogged this from civillyunioned
Civilly Unioned was started to document and comment on issues & culture around all LGBT issues, especially marriage equality and family issues. I welcome, and encourage, any commentary and questions about what I post.
For more information about me, check out the Who's Posting? tab.
Ask me anything Submit