The British Prime Minister has vowed to get tough on African countries with poor records on gay rights by slashing millions of pounds from their aid payments.
In a sign that Britain is no longer prepared to turn a blind eye to nations that victimize sections of society, David Cameron will tell African leaders they will receive funding “fines” if persecution of gays continues, the Daily Mail reports.
The UK government has already taken steps against Malawi, cutting aid by $30 million after two homosexuals who held an engagement ceremony were sentenced to 14 months hard labor. And payments could be cut further to the southern African nation, which has received $312 since 2008, if it proceeds with plans to bring in tough anti-lesbian laws.
Uganda (due to receive $109 million this year) and Ghana (due $56 million) could also face sanctions if they refuse to drop antiquated anti-gay laws. The possibility that these countries will see their aid slashed seems increasingly likely as Uganda has plans to punish same-sex couples with the death penalty, while Ghana’s president has promised to “check the menace of homosexuality.”
A UK government spokesman said it is committed “to combating violence and discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in all circumstances, in this country and abroad.”
Reiterating Britain’s threat of aid withdrawal, the spokesman added, “We only provide aid directly to governments when we are satisfied that they share our commitments to reduce poverty and respect human rights.”
Last month, the leaders of Britain’s three main political parties pledged their support for a new London-based gay rights organization, called Kaleidoscope, hoping to modernize gay rights in former British colonies.
The organization, which plans to leverage the UK’s political clout by encouraging countries to revoke discriminatory legislation, was strongly backed by Prime Minister Cameron who said “I want Britain to be a global beacon for reform.”
Well played Britain!
- onedimpledwonder reblogged this from greenandsilvermarshmallow
- versxrchie reblogged this from civillyunioned
- justcallme-mel reblogged this from civillyunioned
- tonangedelamusique reblogged this from civillyunioned
- lifes-shit-not-you likes this
- sperrnicide reblogged this from civillyunioned
- phillygirlstarr likes this
- lgbtgloballove reblogged this from civillyunioned
- jellofrog likes this
- deotaseven reblogged this from civillyunioned
- ceceej reblogged this from charhudsonn
- charhudsonn reblogged this from civillyunioned and added:
- tiffany3451 likes this
- deniseas4445 likes this
- diana2345d likes this
- closetwild reblogged this from civillyunioned and added:
- closetwild likes this
- a-potent-elixir likes this
- idealisticsun reblogged this from civillyunioned
- lunchnotesfrommom likes this
- ti2fanynguyen likes this
- allcaliforniarealestates likes this
- pennylanish reblogged this from civillyunioned
- andyslimshack reblogged this from civillyunioned and added:
- 13tribe reblogged this from civillyunioned
- melmidway likes this
- aw9535 likes this
- thetruthaboutcharlie likes this
- dykemedic511 reblogged this from civillyunioned
- jimnasium likes this
- castillon02 reblogged this from civillyunioned
- civillyunioned posted this
Civilly Unioned was started to document and comment on issues & culture around all LGBT issues, especially marriage equality and family issues. I welcome, and encourage, any commentary and questions about what I post.
For more information about me, check out the Who's Posting? tab.
Ask me anything Submit